A family temporarily lost their home in Stornoway after a fire started in their kitchen on Monday (November 12th), following that day's island-wide power cuts.

Neighbours alerted Fire Scotland in Stornoway at 3.10pm when smoke was seen pouring from the house on Assaye Place. No one was at home at the time.

Three Fire Scotland appliances, crewed by two Stornoway fire crews and the Shawbost crew of retained fire-fighters, and two officers from Stornoway fire station were quickly on scene, remaining for four hours to tackle the fire and make all safe.

An initial assessment established that the fire had started when cooking was inadvertently left unattended after the power went out earlier in the day. The cause was assessed as accidental fire from cooking.

Fire Scotland group manager Gavin Hammond said: “It was a challenging incident with smoke throughout the home, and we were initially unsure whether anyone was in the property at the time.

"Close liaison with our colleagues in the police and information from neighbours established that the family were out at school and work.

"We were then able to contain the fire to the kitchen area, although the home has been extensively smoke-damaged.”

Group commander Hammond said that smoke detectors were fitted and working in the home, but that doors left open through the property contributed to the amount of damage.

He said: “It’s important that householders remember, both at night-time and when leaving the home to go out, that they should check that all appliances are switched off safely and that doors within the property are closed.

“In this incident we are thankful that everyone was safe and well. For the reassurance of residents, we would stress that the smoke detectors did work as intended.

"If anyone is concerned and would like a home fire safety visit, they can contact us locally via the Stornoway fire station on 01851 705051 or visit the website at www.firescotland.gov.uk.”

The family affected have been temporarily rehomed in emergency accommodation.