Inspection and Review - Sgoil a’ Bhac and Sgoil Araich Loch a Tuath, Isle of Lewis, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar
The following is an extract from the published letter for the above establishment.
Key strengths of the school
- In classrooms, playrooms and beyond, staff and children enjoy positive, caring and supportive relationships. This contributes to children having a strong sense of belonging to their school and sgoil àraich.
- Partners such as parents, the community, church, employers and organisations make important and productive contributions to children’s wellbeing, learning and achievements.
- Children are confident, articulate and support each other well. They have positive attitudes to their learning. The school’s focus on Gaelic is helping children be bilingual and appreciate the language’s value to their future aspirations.
The following areas for improvement were identified and discussed with the headteacher and a representative from Comhairle nan Eilean Siar.
- Continue to extend and improve the strategic leadership of change and improvement to encompass all aspects of Sgoil a’ Bhac and Sgoil Àraich Loch a Tuath. This should guide and direct achieving well-paced outcomes for children.
- Develop further the curriculum so that children build appropriately on their knowledge, skills and understanding, and attain to their full potential. A high priority is to develop a programme for health and wellbeing, and writing in Gaelic.
- Build on the most effective practice in learning, teaching, immersion and assessment to embed this as consistent practice for all children. This should include having a strategic overview of how well assessment and moderation is evidencing the achievement of each level of Curriculum for Excellence.
What happens at the end of the inspection?
As a result of our inspection findings we think that the school needs additional support and more time to make necessary improvements.
We will liaise with Comhairle nan Eilean Siar regarding the school’s capacity to improve.
We will return to carry out a further inspection of the school within a year of the publication of this letter.
We will discuss with Comhairle nan Eilean Siar the details of this inspection.