The ferry service between Ullapool and Stornoway resumed at about 10.15pm last night (Wednesday August 8th) with an overnight return voyage to Ullapool and back.  

The ferry left again at 6am today (Thursday) with a rainbow overhead (pictured above).

The Coastguard emergency tug Ievoli Black remained offshore from Stornoway, as visible on the horizon below.

In Stornoway, the check in for the retimed 1pm sailing (formerly 7am) will begin at 0930 and close at 1100. "Please ensure to arrive in this timeframe to secure passage," CalMac says.  "All confirmed bookings will be honoured, however spaces for foot passengers will be limited and allocated on a first come first served basis. Unfortunately, passage for foot passengers cannot be guaranteed on freight sailings."

Delayed passengers and their vehicles were initially hopeful of leaving just after 8pm last night but a succession of messages from CalMac Ferries indicated they had been unable to get full approvals to sail again after yesterday’s breakdown.  Families played games between the long lines of waiting cars, campervans and trucks.  Some travellers expressed frustration as the messages of continued delays reached them.  Finally around 9.30pm the loading began.  CalMac stated later:

“Following the earlier power outage on the MV Loch Seaforth, we can confirm that we have now received all required approvals to resume sailings. 

“The following temporary timetable will now operate. We will publish further service details as soon as available.  

Wednesday 8th August 2018

Departed Stornoway 22:13 - (Delayed 14:00 Stornoway-Ullapool)

Arrive Ullapool 00:30 - Thursday morning

Depart Ullapool 01:30 - (Delayed 17:30 Ullapool- Stornoway from Wed 08/08/18)

Arrive Stornoway 04:00 

Thursday 9th August 2018

Depart Stornoway 06:00 - Freight Service

Arrive Ullapool 08:30 - Freight Service

Depart Ullapool 10:00 - Freight Service

Arrive Stornoway 12:30

Depart Stornoway 13:00 - (Delayed 07:00 Stornoway – Ullapool)

The messages obviously failed to reach some people as vehicle queues started to form at the entrance to the ferry terminal in Stornoway at 6am today (Thursday)


The incident which left the Loch Seaforth drifting in the Minch without power for more than an hour with two lifeboats on standby nearby is believed to have related to overheating in the engines. However, no official explanation has yet been given.

Below are various views from yesterday and earlier today - with one provided by the RNLI at sea.

[gallery ID=58]