A 35-year-old woman is in a stable condition in Western Isles Hospital, after suffering a cardiac arrest during yesterday’s (Saturday August 10th) Marathon Hebrides in Harris.

Emergency services were called after the woman collapsed at the 15.5mile mark of the race, which was run in heavy rain with strong winds.

Hebrides Mountain Rescue Team and several teams of first responders from around Lewis and Harris were helping to marshal the race and were on hand to respond to the emergency immediately, with a local doctor and paramedics treating the woman at Leverburgh.

Stornoway Coastguard operations centre was asked for assistance at 1.07pm and tasked the Coastguard helicopter R948 to the scene, landing with the help of Tarbert Coastguard Rescue Team.

The casualty was then accompanied by the doctor and paramedic during the airlift to Stornoway, from where she was taken by ambulance to Western Isles Hospital. Stornoway CRT manned the helicopter landing site.

A spokesman for the organisers said: “The family wanted to let everyone know that she is in a stable condition and making a recovery. They have also (said) ‘Could you pass on all our thanks to the first responders, those at the hall, the Heb mountain rescue team, the nurses and doctors on site, the ambulance crews, the coastguard helicopter crew, those at hospital, the guys controlling traffic and anyone else we missed.’”

The race was described as a success despite the emergency and the conditions, with one runner summing the day up as ‘brutal and beautiful’. The 26.5 mile course, led off by champion cyclist Kerry MacPhee for sponsors Lewis Wind Power, was run around some of the most challenging of South Harris terrain, with a punishing final straight along the west coast road to Seilebost.

Full results will be posted this evening (Sunday) at https://www.facebook.com/marathonhebrides/

Pictures show cyclist Kerry Macphee leading the run and some of the runners covering the challenging off-road section in South Harris.