Save lives by registering domestic electrical appliances after buying them, urges Highlands and Islands MSP Donald Cameron.
Mr Cameron said: “Around three quarters of fires in Scottish homes are caused by electrical faults."
He said many of these incidents are caused by faulty appliances which were later recalled by manufacturers but, unfortunately, as most weren’t registered after being purchased, the owners won’t receive the recall notices and will remain unaware of the dangers.
“That’s why I’m supporting the “Do It now” campaign of charity Electrical Safety First and am urging my constituents to register their electrical appliances.
“To find out more please check out their website - www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk – and follow the advice in the guide. It really could save lives.”
The guide is supported by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Services (SFRS), as David Dourley, its Head of Fire Investigation explains: “We are regularly involved in fires, some of them fatal, which have been caused by faulty electrical appliances.
“So we’re urging people to protect themselves from these risks by always registering their products.”