Starting Monday 15 June, travellers from Iceland and Denmark will no longer be required to enter self-quarantine after arriving in the Faroe Islands, reports www.local.fo.
Kaj Leo Holm Johannesen, Minister of Health tells Hvat.fo that the plan is to require travellers to provide proof of their good health.
"Travellers should provide proof that they’ve been tested for the virus. The result should be negative and no older than two days. We’re also working on making it possible for them to take a test upon arrival. This is what we’re currently working on, and we’ll have more information about this next week", he says.
Earlier the Prime Minister of the Faroe Islands, Bárður á Steig Nielsen announced that they would reopen their borders for travellers from Iceland and allow more travellers from the other countries in the Danish realm starting 15 June. In addition to that, travellers will, from that point on, no longer be required to self-quarantine for 14 days.
As a result Faroese airline Atlantic Airways will be increasing the number of flights to and from Vágar Airport starting mid-June. Jóhanna á Bergi, the airline’s CEO, says they will be flying between Vágar and Copenhagen every day instead of only four times a week. The airline will also be reinstating their flights between Vágar and Iceland and Vágar and Billund. For a long time they were down to three flights – all of them between Vágar and Copenhagen.
This drastic reduction in flights is reflected in the newest statistics showing the number of travellers coming through Vágar Airport. In May 2020, Vágar Airport saw a 91.9 percent reduction in the number of travellers coming through the airport compared to May of last year. In May 2019 the number of travellers was 40.474 – this May, the number was down to 3.273, including the traffic on domestic helicopter routes, which has also been reduced by almost two thirds.
More than six weeks have passed since the last cases in the Faroe Islands were discovered on 22 April, and the last 3.733 tests conducted – about 40 percent – have all come back negative.
On Thursday June 4, the Ministry of Health announced that they have now conducted more than 10.000 tests – 10.003 to be exact. Chief medical officer Lars Fodgaard Møller has said that one cannot equate the number of tests to the number of people tested, as some have been tested more than once. However, if one assumes that people have only been tested once, that would mean the Faroese health authorities have tested 19 per cent of the population (which was 52.428 on 1 April).